Welcome to the Patio Del Moro, a whimsical & classic 1920’s Andalucian style 8 unit courtyard building located in the heart of West Hollywood. A registered Historic Landmark with true Hollywood History.
The Patio Del Moro, built in 1925, is a two-story courtyard complex located in the North Harper Avenue Historic District.
Architecturally, the building is of the Spanish Colonial Revival style with extensive Moorish detailing. The building’s Islamic character is manifested in a number of features. These include the horseshoe-arched entrance and tunnel leading to the courtyard, a copper-domed Tunisian tower, tiled fountains in the public and private patios, and horseshoe and pointed-arch doorways and windows within each unit. Despite the distinctive character of these elements, the overriding architectural character of the building is the Spanish Colonial Revival of the twenties.
Simple, geometric volumes are sheathed with stucco that has been stained with color washes. Gabled and shed roofs are covered with terracotta tile. Ornamental ironwork and glazed tile are extensively used throughout the building and courtyard.
The courtyard patio is comprised of a two-story Spanish baroque open fireplace and a blind arch framing a built in bench on the west wall. On the east side of the patio is a wall-mounted tile and bas-relief fountain which flows into a tile reflecting pool.
Very little of the exterior of the Patio Del Moro has been altered since it was constructed. Located on the north side of Fountain Avenue, the U-Plan building occupies most of the lot. The U-configuration opens towards the east, provide space for a wonderful deep courtyard. Several units have private patios. The building is composed of simple geometric volumes. A parking garage is incorporated at the ground level of the street facade.
Numerous Hollywood stars such as Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Troy Donahue, Joan Fontaine and Suzanne Pleshette have made the Patio Del Moro their home over the years. The Patio Del Moro was individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.